The Month of November is Scouting for Food month for Simon Kenton Council. We ask that ALL Council Packs, Troops and Crews participate in this Council-wide Good Turn for America.
Special Scouting for Food grocery bags are being provided for your unit to use to go door-to-door to collect canned goods. In addition, we will have special Scouting for Food boxes available that can be set up in schools, churches and businesses. Please use any and all methods you can think of to collect cans to donate to the Food Bank or pantry of your choice.
Please take a minute and commit your unit to participate. Once your unit has completed its Scouting for Food effort, come back to this site to record your results. At that time you will be able to order special Scouting for Food patches for your unit's participants.
Resources for units:
Kick off Announcement (ABC6/Fox 28) | Trail to Success | Sample Letter to Schools
Sample Letter for Bag Distribution (Dear Neighbor) | Report Your Services Hours Here
Tips and Time line for Participating in Scouting for Food:
- September - Contact your local food bank or pantry to make sure they want help
- October - Determine how many scouts will participate and how many adults will be available to drive when picking up food
- Determine how your unit will be participating (there are multiple ways possible)
- Determine the number of bags and boxes needed - Before October Roundtable
- Before October Roundtable - Fill out the commitment form online
- Talk to other units to get them to participate (consider a friendly competition)
- During November - Collect as many cans as possible (Report your total collected)
- By December 3, 2012 - Report your results on this website
- By December 3, 2012 - Order your patches on this website
- Celebrate your success and thank all your Scouts and parents for participating
- January Roundtable - Receive your patches
Ways you can collect food:
- Going door to door by dropping off a bag and a letter one weekend and returning the next weekend to collect the bag left on the doorstep
- Send home bags at your Church. Make an announcement one weekend and then collect the bags filled with canned goods the next weekend
- Set up a box at your Church. Keep it up the entire month of November
- Set up a box at your school or community center. Keep it up the entire month of November
- Set up boxes at area businesses. keep it up the entire month of November
- Other ideas are always welcomed!
Proudly Sponsored By:
Scouting for Food would not be possible without the support of many partners. Thank you for joining us in our efforts to help those in need in Central and Southern Ohio.
Join our efforts: Box Request for Businesses